Saving Money While You Spend
Saving money isn’t just about putting money in a savings account. You can also save money by being a smart shopper. Here are some ways to stretch those dollars:
1. Don’t impulse shop.
When you’re hanging out withfriends at the mall, don’t buy something just because you think it looks cool. First, step back and ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I really need this item?
- Am I sure that I’ll use it or wear it?
- If I make this purchase, can I still pay any debts I owe?
- Can I find this item cheaper or on sale somewhere else?
2. Shop the sales.
If you shop the big sales to buy needed items, your shopping will stay focused and you'll get more for your money.
3. Shop places other than the mall.
The mall is one of the most expensive places to buy things. Try these stores instead and save some cash:
- Outlet Stores
- Discount Stores
- Consignment or second-hand stores
4. Go to matinees and discount theaters.
Movies are expensive. Here are a few tips to help you save money:
- Look in the newspaper for discount theaters.
- Go see a matinee (usually a show before 5 p.m.). Matinee tickets are cheaper.
- Don’t spend money on refreshments at the theater.
5. Don’t waste money on sub-par products.
Research items before you buy them to be sure that they do what they’re advertised to do. Check out consumer or specialty magazines and read their reviews and comparisons.
Explore all the ways you can save at Delaware State Police FCU.